The Motor Accident Compensation scheme in NSW

is a fault based scheme, and claims are made against the Compulsory Third Party (CTP) insurer of the owner/driver of the vehicle at fault in the cause of the accident. A claim form and Medical Certificate must be lodged within six months of the date of the accident and the accident must be reported to NSW Police within 28 days of the accident. 

All persons injured (including those responsible for the cause of the accident) in a motor accident are eligible for limited compensation on the basis that they complete a form and submit it to the relevant insurer within 28 days of the date of the accident.

Therefore if you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident as either a driver, passenger, cyclist or pedestrian it is important that you obtain legal advice immediately to protect your rights.

Also, insurers often make offers to injured persons in CTP claims before the injured person has obtained legal advice. If you receive such an offer you should definitely obtain legal advice, otherwise you could be resolving your claim for an amount far below the claim's proper value.

NB: The NSW government has announced that it plans to change the Motor Accident Compensation scheme in the near future, and although the scope of those changes is not yet known, it makes it more important for injured persons to obtain advice before such changes are implemented.

For any questions about Motor Accident Claims contact Mark on (02) 42252677 or get in touch

Get in Touch

02 4225 2677

Ground Floor, 90 Market St. Wollongong NSW 2500
PO Box 678 Wollongong NSW 2520
DX 27822 Wollongong Court